Thursday, July 17, 2008

Jon's Amazing Dinner

OK, this only counts as a "Utah Foodie" entry because it took place in Utah and was cooked by someone originally from Utah. Many of you know that my brother, Jonathan David just left Hawaii after spending almost 8 years there in the Navy. He's been transferred to Seattle but got some time in the middle for vacation, some of which he's spending here at "home" in Utah. So, Sunday he cooked everyone the most amazing Hawaiian dinner I think I've ever had - and we've been to Hawaii twice. And eaten great food there, both times. The menu consisted of kaulua pork (probably spelled that wrong), coleslaw - Hawaiian style with pineapple, ginger & nutmeg in it (I know, it sounds a little icky...but I absolutely promise you it is the opposite!) fresh cucumbers with dill, and a little vinegar and sugar and crab & cream cheese wontons. Wow - everything was just amazing. The pork was extremely tender (after being slow-cooked for a few hours) and the flavor was amazing. There is nothing that reminds me of Hawaii more than pork cooked like that! The coleslaw was really unique and I was surprised to discover how great the flavors of ginger & nutmeg could be in something like coleslaw. I loved the extra flavor of dill with the cucumbers and the wontons.....holy cow, they were good. They were filled with crab, scallions, water chestnuts and cream cheese. I definitely need his recipe and when I get it, I'll post it here and on the "Favorites" blog. Thank you, Jon for an amazing meal. I still think you have a bright future ahead of you in some kind of restaurant business, but I'll just have to dream about that for a while, eh? I can't wait to see what kind of recipes you are inspired to fix once you've been in Seattle for a while! We will definitely visit for seafood!

1 comment:

X-Tine said...

I'm pretty sure those crab wontons were a million times better than the ones we had at Citris Grill. Theirs were good, but Jon's were MUCH better!