Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Justly Famous Since 1939"

This post may just be inspired by one of my favorite Food Network TV shows: Triple D (Diners, Drive-Inns and Dives), and this weird sort of attraction I have for old, retro stuff. Nostalgia, even though I wasn't alive or around for the stuff to even be nostalgic for it.

About a year ago, I heard about a real, honest to goodness diner that some guy bought in Rhode Island, dragged out to Utah, and planned to restore it and open it in Oakley, UT. I followed its progress because, well, I'd always wanted to go to a real diner and as far as I know, we don't have any in Utah. Nor had I ever eaten at one on any of my (limited) travels. And about 2 or 3 weeks ago, the Road Island Diner finally opened its doors! Check out their website for menu, pictures, history, fun stuff like that.

And it didn't disappoint. Of course, you have to realize that going into a diner, that's what you're getting. I had an apricot glazed pork chop, mostly because I have always wondered what a pork chop with apricot or apple might taste like. It was pretty tasty, and the vegetables and rice that came with it were good, too. Derk had meat loaf (I know, meat loaf, beat loaf...), but he said it was good, but that the potatoes were a little greasy spoon-ish for his taste. We want to go back for breakfast and hamburgers and fries!! It was great, the ambience was fun, the wait staff was dressed up like old timey diner waitresses and bus-boys, and they even have fun diner names like Rosie, complete with old timey hair-dos. Oh, I almost forgot. We also need to go back for the Pig Trough. There's a picture of some people eating it on their picture gallery, it's basically a pig trough with all sorts of scoops of ice cream. Isn't that awesome?! Let me know if anyone's interested in a road trip and we'll plan it!

And the bumper of our car now reads, "I Brake for Diners." :)

1 comment:

Kristin Randall said...

Yes, yes - road trip! I can't WAIT to see an actual diner...there used to be one (kinda) at Trolley Square with old timey soda and such and it was pretty cool, but this one - WOW! I can't wait!