Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sonora Grill - Ogden

So, since Kristin posted her bad sushi experience, I realized that this forum could be used for pans of places as well as praising good eateries. The Sonora Grill in Ogden unfortunately falls into the "panned" category. I say "unfortunately" because I REALLY wanted to like this place. Having grown up in Ogden and watched it's up and down cycles, I am very excited about how downtown really seems to be going through a transformation. I love going to Ogden on a weekend evening and seeing all the restaurants, bowling alleys and movie theaters packed with people. I had been wanting to try the Sonora Grill for a while, since it is located smack dab in the middle of all the great places associated with downtown Ogden.
Jeff and I are also big supporters of locally owned, non-chain establishments and I thought that this place would fall into that category. We went on a Saturday evening, arriving around 6 pm and were told it would be about a 15-20 minute wait. No problem. About 45 minutes later, we were finally shown to a table. I understand that telling people how long the wait will be is a tricky process, by being off by over a half hour bugs! We didn't see a waitress for about 15 more minutes after being sat. By this time, we had already decided what we wanted, but our VERY air-heady waitress wouldn't take our food order until after we had our drinks - EVEN after we told her all we wanted was water. Weird. She eventually brought us some chips and salsa (which were pretty good, with the disclaimer that the chips were big and round and you had to break them into smaller, more bite-size pieces by yourself), and then proceeded to leave us alone, with no water refills for about another half and hour. During that time, she tried to bring us two different other table's chips and salsa, and we would request more water, which finally came with our meals way after we had decided that we would never return to this restaurant. The actual food, once it appeared, was decent, but not spectacular. Service is a deal breaker for me. Even if the atmosphere is cool (it was), and the food is good (and it was), if you can't even manage to feed me in a timely and polite fashion, I am not a happy camper. So in short, don't be fooled by the awesome location and fancy building, the Sonora Grill is no place to go out to eat!

1 comment:

Kristin Randall said...

Rats! I was looking forward to trying that place - maybe for lunch when it's not so busy???? It's right by Farr's - perfect place for dessert after! :)